- This is not a personal debate, so do not make it into one.
- Just because this persons disagrees with me does NOT mean that I will dislike them personally.
- Don't force an opinion change, simply put forward another point of view.
- NEVER tell them they are wrong.
- When you have been defeated, admit defeat.
- Do not make fun of or slate someone's opinion, they have that opinion for a reason.
- Do not make your arguments into personal attacks.
- If they make their arguments into personal attacks, end the debate otherwise it will get heated and turn into a bloodbath. (Even if it means they think they have won, let them)
Politics, and life in general is all about opinion. Nobody is right or wrong. We all just have different opinions. I am a firm believer in that there should be periods of short 5 year governments to keep the country in a stable position.I may be a right wing Tory but I know that sometimes Labour policies are what is needed to get something done. For example I do not agree pensioners having free bus / rail travel, however I understand that it is a very positive policy.
Just because you don't agree with an opinion, it does not mean you should not respect it and the person who holds it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't discuss other alternative opinions, it just means you shouldn't force your opinion on them or tell them they are wrong. It is pretty simple really!